When we talk about healthcare, dental care often feels overlooked, even though studies prove oral health is essential to overall health. Dental insurance, in particular, has a reputation for offering limited coverage, restrictive annual maximums, and complicated terms — making it nearly impossible for the consumer to know what their monthly premium payments are going towards.
As open enrollment approaches and millions prepare to make choices about their healthcare, wouldn't it be better for your practice and patients if you could offer a solution directly? Now, if you're asking yourself — "is there an easy way to do this?"— there is.
What is Open Enrollment?
During open enrollment, patients have the opportunity to select their benefits for the upcoming year. This is particularly relevant in the context of employer-sponsored health insurance or government health programs like Medicare and the Affordable Care Act (ACA) marketplace plans.
During open enrollment, eligible individuals can:
- Enroll in a new health insurance plan: For those without insurance or looking to switch from one plan to another.
- Renew or change existing coverage: For individuals who already have insurance through their employer or a government program. They can review their current coverage and adjust their plans, add dependents, or modify their coverage.
- Apply for subsidies or financial assistance: For ACA marketplace plans, open enrollment is when people can apply for subsidies or premium tax credits to make health insurance more affordable.
Open enrollment does also tend to magnify the complexities of navigating the American health insurance system, with a growing percentage of the population expected to go without.
- More than half of consumers say dental insurance is not affordable
- 91.4M Americans are expected to be without dental insurance by the end of 2023
- Insurers are pulling back coverage in states where a higher percentage of premiums must go towards dentists and the cost of care
The Need for Change
The lack of regulation in the dental insurance industry has resulted in an overcomplicated system that is often inequitable for both practices and patients. Despite ample evidence that change is needed, the political and economic incentives to maintain the status quo are strong and avoid making care more accessible and providing practices with competitive reimbursements to remain profitable.
Membership Plans are the Solution
Direct-care models such as dental membership plans work to create a mutually beneficial relationship between your practice and your patients.
Like other healthcare subscriptions — dental membership plans begin with a service everyone agrees is valuable to patients (dental coverage) and seeks to make it available to as many patients as possible.
This patient-centric approach creates a healthier population of loyal patients who visit more often and accept more treatment. Practice data reveals that membership plan patients visit 100% more often and accept 145% more care than uninsured patients.
As an added benefit there is no dentist network; plans are unique and can be tailored to each practice. Your office sets the subscription price, fee schedule, and treatment protocol.
Since membership plans include preventive care, patients will consistently complete their hygiene reappointments, which is critical to production and collections as 75% of restorative and cosmetic treatments originate in hygiene.
The combination of more hygiene appointments and savings within the membership plan dramatically affects practice production and collections. Membership plan patients generate 172% more production and 182% more collections than uncovered patients.
- Read the complete analysis in the Kleer Gets Results white paper.
Ways to Promote Your Membership Plan During Open Enrollment
1. Display Marketing Collateral in Your Office
Start with marketing collateral to promote your membership plan during open enrollment. Ensure your waiting room, front desk, and treatment areas prominently display brochures, posters, and flyers explaining the benefits of your membership plan.
Consider creating an eye-catching display that highlights the key features of your plan, such as coverage details, cost savings, and what sets your practice apart from the competition. Engaging visuals and compelling messaging can pique the interest of patients as they wait for their appointments.
2. Ensure Your Team is Actively Talking About Your Plan with Patients
Your dental team is your greatest asset in promoting your membership plan. Encourage your team members to actively discuss the plan with patients when they enter your office, in the hygiene chair, and before departure. Having a team well-versed in your plan's benefits will instill greater trust within your patient base and maximize the potential of your membership plan.
3. Create a Programmatic Display Ad Campaign
Leverage digital marketing to reach a wider audience during open enrollment. Programmatic display advertising allows you to display targeted ads to potential patients as they browse the internet.
In platforms like Google Ads or social media platforms like Facebook or Instagram, you can
specifically target individuals seeking dental services and generate interest in your membership plan. Include compelling visuals, clear messaging, and a call to action that directs users to your website for more information.
4. Launch an Email Marketing Campaign
Email marketing is a powerful way to promote your membership plan to current and potential patients. Craft a series of engaging emails that highlight the advantages of enrolling in your plan.
When creating your campaign, think of all the components of an email and ensure your call-to-action is the primary focus.
Your email should be:
- Clear and easy to understand (less is more; keep it concise!)
- Provide genuine, great value (your membership plan is a tremendous value add)
- Solve a significant pain point (open enrollment is stressful, and insurance is complicated)
- Communicate results or benefits (think plan inclusions, pricing)
- Require an immediate response (links directly to a sign-up page)
You can also segment your email list to tailor messages to different audiences, such as existing uninsured patients and dormant patients, and potential new patients. Keep your membership plan in mind by sending personalized invitations, reminders, and follow-ups during the open enrollment period.
5. Try Posting Organically on Social Media
While paid advertising has merits, organic social media content offers a more authentic and relatable way to connect with patients. By crafting engaging and informative posts about the benefits of your dental membership plan, you can reach your current and potential patients on a personal level. Share success stories, dental care tips, and the value your plan brings to their oral health.
- When it comes to dental care, we're all about simplifying the process. Our dental membership plan offers straightforward, cost-effective solutions for you and your family. Say goodbye to insurance confusion and hello to peace of mind. 🤗 #OpenEnrollment #DentalMembershipPlan
- Discover our dental membership plan this open enrollment season. With no annual maximums and a focus on preventive care, it's a game-changer for your oral health. Get ready to smile brighter! 😄🦷 #OpenEnrollment #DentalMembershipPlan
- Open enrollment is here, and if you're searching for new coverage, our dental membership plan may be a better option. From routine hygiene, exams, and x-rays to savings on treatment, we've got your smile covered. Sign up today from the link in our bio! 🌟 #OpenEnrollment #DentalSavings #DentalMembershipPlan
- Don't let the costs of traditional dental coverage hold you back. It's open enrollment time, and our dental membership plan is your ticket to affordable, quality care. Ask our team about it when you book your next appointment. 😄 #OpenEnrollment #DentalSavings #DentalMembershipPlan
- Say goodbye to dental insurance woes and hello to our dental membership plan this open enrollment season. We believe in simple, affordable, comprehensive care that puts you and your oral health first. Sign up today at the link in bio to redefine your dental care experience! 🦷💫 #DentalMembershipPlan #OpenEnrollment
Now is the Time
During open enrollment, more than ever, patients are reviewing their dental coverage options and determining their plans for 2024. There has never been a better time to implement a dental membership plan platform like Kleer in your practice to power your results.
Kleer powers fast-growing dental practices and DSOs with subscription-based dental membership plans. Our advanced software, intelligent integration solution, dedication to your growth, and unmatched support are foundational to our best-in-class solution. From building and pricing your plan to onboarding, marketing, support, and beyond, we have the expertise and insight that comes from working with thousands of dental practices nationwide.
Transform your practice with Kleer's industry-leading membership plan solution. Get started today!